Thursday, October 17, 2013

Easy White Chili


Chili is a fall/winter staple, of course, but it's good to have a variety to mix things up. I've been making white chili in the slow cooker for the past few years, but last night I decided to throw something similar together on the stove. Matt took a bite and declared it the best white chili I've made, so I figured I'd better write down what I did while I still remember.

This is healthy and fairly quick, but like most chili I suspect it would get better the longer you let it cook. I see no reason you couldn't cook the turkey, throw everything into a slow cooker and leave it on low for 7-8 hours so it could be waiting when you get home - since that's more what the recipe originally called for.


 White chili
makes four two-cup servings

One package lean ground turkey (mine was 11oz)
One 540 ml can navy beans, drained
One 540 ml can black-eyed peas, drained
Two medium onions, chopped
Four stalks celery, chopped
Two cans green chilies, not drained
1 Tbsp cumin seeds
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (or to taste)
2 cups chicken stock
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste

To garnish: Avocado, sour cream, cilantro, hot sauce

In a non-stick or ceramic dutch oven, cook turkey through, breaking it up with a wooden spoon.

Mash about half of the beans and peas and then add them along with the unmashed ones to the turkey along with the onions, celery, undrained green chilies, cumin, cayenne. Stir to combine and cook for a few minutes, then add stock, bring to a boil and allow to simmer for at least 15 minutes.

Taste and season. Serve and top with garnishes as desired - I think it gains a lot from the hot sauce and cilantro.


Each 2 cup serving from a recipe prepared with 11oz lean ground turkey and no-name navy beans and black-eyed peas: 6 Points+